Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Morning News Just for Us!

Good Morning Everyone,

This was a weekend for me to celebrate. My company celebrated its first birthday! I have made it through the first year of doing business which from what I understand is something to celebrate. It has been a year of the proverbial blood, sweat and tears. However, if I had to do it over again, I would do it in a minute.

Opening Lunar Radiance has done more for me than I ever could have imagined. I have learned much about myself and my capabilities. I have had the opportunity to meet other fabulous boomer women who are taking risks, following their passions and proving that just because our "biological eggs" may not be abundant as they once were, they still have much to offer and possibilities to explore. I have written about this before in my article "Baby Boomer Woman Gives Birth."

I am not alone in my entrepreneurial endeavors. According to SCORE, women represent more than 1/3 of all people involved in entrepreneurial activities. Still not convinced, check out these statistics:
  • Between 1997 and 2002, women-owned firms grew by 19.8 percent while all U.S. firms grew by seven percent (Source: SBA, Office of Advocacy)
  • Women-owned firms accounted for 6.5 percent of total employment in U.S. firms in 2002 and 4.2 percent of total receipts. (Source: SBA, Office of Advocacy)

  • The number of women-owned firms continues to grow at twice the rate of all U.S. firms (23 percent vs. 9 percent). There are an estimated 10 million women-owned, privately-held U.S. businesses. The greatest challenge for women-owned firms is access to capital, credit and equity. Women start businesses on both lifestyle and financial reasons. Many run businesses from home to keep overhead low. (Source: SBA, Office of Advocacy and Business Times, April 2005)

  • Women are more likely to seek business advice—69 percent women vs. 47 percent men. (Source: American Express)

Wow! It is a great time to be a woman. So nurture your ideas, think outside of the box and follow you passions. Who knows what could happen. Now.....onto our news for this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the accomplishment! I wish you the best of luck, and hope your company continues to grow. You couldn't be more correct, It couldn't be a better time to be a women! I have some very valuable information for women who are planning on starting their own business. There’s this great contest called, "Make your Dreams Come True with Mirassou." One business women will be awarded $50k, plus a team of highly professional consultants to help kick start their business=D You can check out: http://www.mirassou.com/women_in_business/dreams.asp for more details & to enter! The deadline is Dec. 15 2007. Anyone going to give it a shot? I work with them, so just helping to get the information out! Good luck!