Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Should The Drinking Age Be Lowered?

Much discussion has been generated this week over the idea of dropping the drinking age to 18. The Amethyst Initiative is made up of university chancellors and presidents who believe that the current age of 21 encourages binge drinking on college campuses.

I have both an 18 year old college freshman and a 21 year old college senior. My kids were not high school drinkers. I do know that my son drank off campus when he entered college....not something I supported but actively denounced. I hold my breath regarding my daughter. They know my position, but the reality is there is little we can do as parents once they are there. I have to admit, that my initial reaction is no. I need to do more reading about the subject and data that both supports and refutes the idea.

Amethyst Initiative has a website where they promote their position and provide research which supports their position. If you are interested in visiting the site you can click here. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think dropping the drinking age is a mistake. I remember when I was that age, and the drinking age was 18, we were drinking in High School, raising it to 21 didn't stop much at that time... Kids are learning how to become adults, they have so many things on their plates. Don't give them one more challenge to master earlier than necessary.

Anonymous said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????
I Don't care what the law says, most 18 yr. olds are not mature enough to "Know when to say No" (handle it)!
This is the same old argument that wants to accommodate the masses by dropping the age, instead of teaching responsibility among those that choose to drink. Kids today have enough problems without adding the alcohol factor.....Dropping the age will neither make it safer, nor will it stop the binging.......I have a 20 yr. old college soph, and a 16 yr. old high school soph, and WOULD have a 27 yr. old....I've already lost one child, I don't want to lose another due to some irresponsible teenager that makes a stupid mistake!