Sunday, December 16, 2007

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

It has been a slow news week as far as my usual subjects are concerned, so I thought I would solicit your opinions on a topic that is always debated this time of year. What is more appropriate....."Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?"

Yesterday, I was watching a Fox News program and caught a bit of a discussion on this topic. Ben Stein was discussing some research that had been done showing that stores that decorated for Christmas, and openly acknowledged the "Christmas Season" were experiencing higher sales volume than stores following a more politically correct tone of "Holiday Season." He also went on to say that it is his belief that it is the Christmas season because December 25th is Christmas Day not Holiday Day.

What do you think? Are you offended when someone says "Merry Christmas?" Do you extend the spirit of the season by wishing people "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?" Would you be more likely to shop at a store that promotes a holiday theme or a Christmas theme?

Take a minute to weigh in. I would love to know what you think! Have a great week!

2 comments:

Rhea said...

I wouldn't say I'm offended exactly, but being Jewish I am often told "Have a merry Christmas." I am just usually surprised that people don't realize that not everyone does Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I'm Jewish, too, and my surprise at people's assumption that I'm Christian DOES have a slight tinge of resentment about it, sometimes. It depends on my mood, because sometimes it's easier just to smile and say Merry Christmas back to the person. Occasionally, though, I sling back a "and Happy Chanukah to you," just to make the point. But I do it with a smile because I don't really want to hurt the person's feelings, just remind them to think. That's why "Happy Holiday" is less offensive and all inclusive, while still being a bit inappropriate if Christmas is really what you have in mind. While browsing the Web last week I found a bumper sticker that about says it: Don't assume I'm Christian and I won't assume you're Jewish. But I wouldn't display it on my bumper for fear that someone would damage my car because of it. Jews know that "this is a Christian country," but I've never agreed that it should be. It's kind of audacious, like the assumption of power reflected in White-heterosexual-male-privilege. If one differs from it, or from Christianity in this country, one isn't seen as an equal, but is "tolerated." Thanks, but such condescension I can do without.