Saturday, December 29, 2007

If You See This Movie, Bring a Box of Tissues

Like many people, I like to see movies during the week between Christmas and New Year's. This past week, I managed to catch two. One was Charlie Wilson's War, which I enjoyed a lot. Actually, I would like to see it again. The other was P.S. I Love You.

P.S. I Love You is totally a "chick flick" (I saw it with two girlfriends and my 17 year old daughter) but it packed quite an emotional punch. It takes you through the first year after the main character, Holly, loses her husband, the love of her young life, to a brain tumor. She is guided through her grief with messages left to her, by her dead husband, and secretly delivered.

The crying starts gradually, and by the end of this two hour movie, which surprisingly offers many opportunities for laughter, you hear open sobs throughout the audience. I did my fair share of weeping and was deeply affected by the portrayed emotions which were not unlike the ones I experienced when I suddenly lost my 38 year old fiance nine years ago. Some of the scenes so strikingly resembled ones I experienced, I shuttered.

I began to think, on my way home, about the universal experience of love and grief, and started to ask myself some questions. Do we ever truly recover from such a tramatic loss, or do we just manage to bury the hurt deep inside so that we can move on with our lives and be happy again? Once you have had a powerful, soulmate connection with someone, can you ever have another?

In need of a little cathartic crying? Go see P.S. I Love You......just remember the tissues!

3 comments:

Debbie Stevens said...

Oh Eileen, I really want to see this now! Haven't been to the movies for awhile, the last movie being Harry Potter's last adventure! [Am a HP fan!]Your description of the reaction from the audience was enough for me! If they cry, WE CRY! And in response to your question Eileen, loss is indeed a universal connection, and we all react differently. However, I DO feel like you, in that I don't believe we truly ever recover from the initial 'shock', we merely find a way to keep existing. I said this once on radio when asked did I believe in 'time heals all wounds'..my reply was this, I don't feel time HEALS, it simply helps us to learn how to 'cope' with the loss. My defence came in the form of writing, like so many others. Still grieve, but i can talk about it now, my first step towards healing and coping even better. You shared that description in a lovely way Eileen, I appreciated this article very much! Here's to a more cheerier 2008! :) God Bless

Anonymous said...

I would like to see this too and am waiting for hubby to say 'yes'. I know it's a chick flick but I watch his films with him :-)

Eileen said...

Debbie and Kathy....thanks so much for your comments! Kathie, I would definitely recommend that you see this with one of your girlfriends unless you have one sentimental husband or he would like to hold the tissues! This movie would have been lost on my husband. LOL