Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Morning News Just for Us!

Whew.....what a busy week. My teaching job took me out of town this week to Baltimore, Maryland. Seizing the last days of beautiful weather, my colleagues and I had the chance to stroll the harbor and feast on some delicious food. We then spent two days at an education conference. I always love when I can mix business with pleasure. Why is it, though, that when on a trip, I always eat too much?

Here is a question for you moms. How do you help your children through disappointment?

My daughter, who is a senior in high school received her most recent SAT scores this week. Although she had attended a private tutoring class, and worked hard to prepare, her score was not what she wanted. Because of her major in physical therapy, many of the schools to which she is applying are private which means big $$$$$. Scholarship money is frequently determined by those SAT scores. She was sobbing.

I am a firm believer that everything works out the way it should, so I assured her of that, but my heart sank for her since she had worked so hard. As a teacher, I am always telling my students that "hard work and effective effort" account for the majority of student success. This was a tough one. So ladies....what do you do?

OK....enough of the personal stuff....let's take a look at what is happening in the world of baby boomers this week! Happy reading and have a great week!

1 comment:

Bev Mahone said...

Diva Eileen,

My daughter also took the SAT and got her scores back. She actually did better than she expected---although it still wasn't in the range she wanted it to be in. I'm encouraging her to take the test again and to remember that she is a smart young lady. Building self confidence in your children goes a long way in building their self-esteem and hope for the future.

I don't think there's any easy remedy though because not all kids are alike so you just do what you can and trust that God will do the rest.

I enjoy reading your Sunday Morning News Just For Us.