Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer Vacation

Do you remember the days when you had to write an essay about "My Summer Vacation?" I do and they usually weren't that exciting. Money was scarce for my single mother, but I do remember fondly our trips to Williamsburg and Washington D.C. I didn't fly until I was 14 when we took a trip to visit her friends in Florida. However, times have changed for most baby boomers.

According to a report by AARP, a greater percentage of boomers today have a passport and travel to international destinations. We tend to look for more exotic places to visit and are more adventurous. Gone are the days of waiting for retirement to take a cruise or cross the pond to explore all that Europe has to offer. On my last vacation to Sedona, Arizona, this past fall, my husband, who is 20 years my senior, and I hiked our butts off! We were exhausted at the end of the day, but exhilarated.

So, if you have to write about your summer vacation this year, what will it say? Are you an adventurous boomer, planning something exotic? Or are you planning to stay closer to home (those darned gas prices), make a visit to see family or take short day trips? As for me, I will be staying put, getting my daughter ready to go to college for the first time and saving my pennies to pay for tuition!

Looking for great vacation ideas? Check out Baby Boomer Trips for packages and suggestions.

No comments: