Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Great Dress....No Stress

My husband's niece is being married on May 10th and of course this requires a new dress. Since I started Lunar Radiance, I have not gotten nearly enough exercise. Consequently, I have put on a few pounds. This lack of exercise, combined with menopausal belly has left me less than excited about the prospects of shopping.

This time I decided to approach my shopping trip with a new point of view. Instead of conjuring up a ton of negative chatter in my head I decided to just accept that my body is where it is right now. Instead of limiting myself to my usual "black because it makes me look thinner" I was open to pattern and color. I asked my best baby boomer girlfriend, who I trust to give me an honest, yet encouraging opinion, to go with me......and presto.....I found the perfect dress for the occasion! It has color, pattern and even a belt!

Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves. We see all of our flaws and forget to play up the good stuff. I still have a decent pair of legs, so I opted for something that highlights them. It felt good to take this different approach and it was quite freeing.

Now don't get me wrong.....I know that I will feel better both physically and mentally when I shed my unwanted pounds, but that doesn't mean that I have to participate in the self loathing that many of us so often do.

Try being kind and accepting of yourselves ladies. Look for the beauty that you have, play up your many assets and push out those negative messages. Let's all dress with less stress!

No comments: