Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hair-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly


Are all women focused on their hair, or is it just me? Does a bad hair day really affect your mood? I am making a true confession here, I am a hairmaniac. Maybe it is just because I am hating mine right now and so ready for a change that I could scream, but I think that hairmania is a condition that primarily strikes women at epidemic proportions.

Our mothers did it, their mothers did it and now it is passed on to our generation and we will pass it on to the next. I can already see it with my teenage daughter. Coloring, teasing, spraying, geling, curling, straightening, ironing....oh Lord, the lengths that we go to so we can insure we are having a "good hair day" are endless. I have vivid memories of my mother sleeping with torturous rollers and my grandmother, who had her hair "done" once a week, would carefully wrap it with toilet paper each night and cover it with some sort of bonnet to keep it just so. By the end of the week, it looked like a matted rug.

Let's not forget "Salon Junkie Syndrome." You know women who have this condition; you may even be one of these women who shamelessly moves from one salon to the next on the never ending search for the perfect style and color. Have they no ability to commit?

I have been loyal to my stylist for years, but yesterday I crossed over, gave in to my hairmania and made the call to someone new. I am consciously going to cheat on my stylist. Will the guilt I suffer be worth it? Will Christopher be able to perform magic that will make me smile at the mirror each morning after I have finished my moussing, drying and spraying? He must be good since I have to wait 10 days before I can settle into his chair! I have seen his work on a colleague and she has her hairmania under control. Will he be able to do it for me?

How about you? Are you a hairmaniac? Do you suffer from Salon Junkie Syndrome? It's ok...unburden yourself. All comments can be anonymous!

No comments: