Sunday, February 24, 2008

Braces Anyone?

Unfortunately, I have been spending way too much time in the dentist's chair lately. My dentist fear stems from my childhood, I am sure. We were poor and the only time I went to the dentist was when there was an emergency. Consequently, I associate the dentist with pain. Now, as I approach 50, a few of those heavily filled teeth are breaking and require crowns. Thank heavens there are miraculous advances in detal technology, and pain isn't an issue, just time and discomfort.

I have always been envious of those who have beautiful, straight, white teeth. Orthodontics wasn't an option when I was young. Then, as I had my own children, of course they had braces. However, now as I approach my 50th birthday, and after speaking at great length with my dentist, I have been thinking that braces may be the perfect gift.

My husband was completely taken back when I discussed this with him. He couldn't quite wrap his head around this idea. He gave his appropriate good husband response of "Honey, you have a beautiful smile." While I do appreciate his loving comment, I went on to explain.

For years my less than perfect teeth have bothered me. I always looked at people's teeth. I internally grumble when I see my smile in pictures. Some women have a little nip, tuck, lift or suction as they age; why can't I have straight teeth?

So, I am in the process of doing a bit of research.
  • Is there anyone out there who has had braces as an adult?
  • If so, did you opt for the traditional or invisible type?
  • How long did it take?

Any suggestions or advice?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out archwired, an adult orthodontic site. Also myspace has a group called , older women with braces.

As an older adult going through the braces thing- i don't regret my decision.

Eileen said...

Thanks for the referral. I just spent quite some time reading. It was very informative. I have concerns because of my crowns and older teeth and bones. However, I trust the ortho. that I want to use. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Go for it and don't look back! I promise, you will love the end result!

As an adult with braces, it was by far the best money spent. Just make sure your doing it for yourself, its okay to be selfish sometimes....

GL !!! :)

Anonymous said...

Eileen-
Invisalign, silly! My friend Joanne is doing it now AND she says since she doesn't want to take off the trays, she doesn't eat as often. Result- straighter teeth AND weight loss. By the way, I went to Chris today, and we read your blog together (the one about Christopher Markus), he was so happy! The boys all loved you over there!

Cath