Sunday, September 30, 2007

It Is Better to Give Than to Receive

My apologies to those of you who check in regularly expecting to see "Sunday Morning News Just for Us." I was preempted by extreme exhaustion after giving my husband, who celebrated is 70th birthday, a surprise party.

My husband, who is 20 years my senior, is a man who comes from very humble beginnings in the mountains of Pennsylvania. His father was a coal miner and his mother did whatever she could to help make ends meet for their family. Growing up, life was somewhat stern and lacking frivolity. Although he has become extremely successful as an attorney and has enjoyed many of the wonderful things life has to offer, he never really had a party. So, I decided to give him a surprise.

Our house was filled with his children and grandchildren, other family and friends. His brother traveled from Buffalo to be with us. It was the most wonderful experience for me to see the look of surprise and joy on his face. His total shock and appreciation made what I thought was a small gift turn into something so much more. The evening was a total delight. My heart truly overflowed with the warmest feelings seeing his happiness. I have given good parties, before....actually I am know for giving wonderful parties, but this one was the sweetest.

Yes the food was wonderful and the ambiance was superb, but I was given a great gift, myself, just to see his childlike delight and happiness at receiving what so many of us have had the chance to experience.....something just for us and the validation that we are special, unique and worth celebrating. It is truly better to give than to receive!

PS....honey if you happen to read my blog this week......Happy Birthday. I love you.

No comments: